Austin - Post World War 2 - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 Pages Next Page
 
Austin A90 Atlantic
 
Austin A40 Sports
 
Austin A70 Hereford
 
Austin A30 Seven

Canada, too, became an integrated part of this drive and old Austin distributorships and dealerships there were greatly strengthened.

As the new A40s began to arrive and pass into the hands of the public, sales increased and dollars streamed back to Britain.

At Longbridge production was steadily rising. The Eight, Ten and Twelve cars which had served so well during the immediate post-war years, were now replaced by the A40. The Sixteen continued in production, along with the new luxury Sheerline and Princess cars, while the output of 2- and 5-ton trucks and of the 10-cwt. and 25-cwt. light commercials proceeded apace. In the financial year ended July 31st, 1948, the total overseas earnings amounted to over 30,000,000.

At the 1948 International Motor Exhibition at Earls Court, two new models, the A70 Hampshire and the A90 Atlantic Convertible, were announced. The latter had a twin-carburetter overhead valve engine, and streamlined bodywork quite unlike any previous Austin.

That the A90 had a superb performance was later proved at Indianapolis in 1950, when a standard model covered 11,850 miles at an average speed of 70.54 m.p.h.

By July 3rd, 1949, annual production had reached a total of 126,685, in 1950 it reached 157,628, and in 1951 the magnificent total of 162,079 was achieved, with 114,609 of these going to export markets.

Thus, within five full years of the end of the war, production at Longbridge had increased by over 50 per cent on pre-war output, and this without any significant change in factory acreage or in the number of employees.

Austin A40 Coupe