Austin - During World War 2
Back to Index

Immediately upon the outbreak of war, the change-over from peace-time to war-time production began. The same machines and hands that a short time back had turned out highly finished cars, took in their stride the production of a whole miscellany of intricate parts for the nation's war machine. The variety and quantities of articles produced were staggering. Over one-and-a-quarter million rounds of 2, 6 and 17 pounder armour-piercing ammunition and twice as many ammunition boxes.

Over half-a-million Jerri cans, nearly as many steel service helmets, and almost as many assemblies of one sort or another for mines and depth charges. A hundred thousand bogey suspension and driving gear units for Churchill tanks was considered almost a side-line.

And all this against a steady output of wheeled vehicles of various types to a total of over thirty-six thousand.

The shadow factory at Cofton Hackett, which started production with Fairey Battle light bombers and Mercury and Pegasus aero engines, ended by turning out Lancaster four engined heavy bombers. The latter were too big to be flown from the Longbridge flying ground and so they were assembled elsewhere, as were the Stirling bombers which preceded them. Nearly three thousand of these aircraft, along with Hurricane fighters, were ultimately produced, in addition to aero engines, Horsa Glider, Beaufighter and Miles Master fuselages.

W.D. Austin 8 hp Tourer 
 
Austin R.A.F. Wireless Truck

Avro Lancaster

  Lord Austin died on May 23rd, 1941, after a short illness. He was succeeded by E. L. Payton, who retired four years later on November 28th, 1945, whereupon L. P. Lord became Chairman and Managing Director.  
Hawker Hurricane
 
Fairey Battle

The Beginning (+ Index)

Pre World War 1

The war years

Between the wars

World War 2

Post war

Facts & Figures

References

Links to Austin & BMC sites